Northern Vietnam Loop Tour off the beaten track 12days – The best essential trip starting from Hanoi to Ha Giang, Cao Bang with Ban Gioc waterfalls, Nguom Ngao Cave – Ba be lake and end up with Cat Ba – Ha Long bay journey.
Overview Northern Vietnam Loop Tours 12 days
- Day 1 – Hanoi : Airport pick to hotel
- Day 2 – departure Hanoi to Ha giang city about 6hrs driving (280km)
- Day3 – a full day activates of village/mountain trekking with lunch en-route
- Day 4 – Ha giang city keep going to heaven gate of Quan ba – Yen Minh – Dong van plateau for about 5hrs driving (150km)
- Day 5 – dong van market – King Hmong palace – Ma Pi Leng pass – Meo Vac city – cao bang city on the go.
- Day 6 – Cao Bang city to Ban Gioc waterfalls and Nguom Ngao Cave
- Day 7 – Ban Gioc keep going to Ba be national park
- Day 8 – ba be lake boat – caves – trekking for a day activities
- Day 9 – Leaving ba be lake to Cat Ba islands
- Day 10 – Cat ba to Viet Hai Village
- Day 11 – a day of boat tour through Lan Ha Bay – Bai Tu Long Bay with kayaking – swimming – caves and beach
- Day 12 – Cat Ba island going back to Hanoi/ airport
Day 1 – Hanoi : Airport pick to hotel
My wife and I did a 12 day tour of Northern Vietnam with Tony. Tony was with us for the whole trip form meeting us at the airport to dropping us off 12 days later. We stayed in comfortable hotels which he selected, these were all interesting and presented contrasting experiences. The tour was tailor made essentially a variation on the Northern Loop with a side trip to Ban Gioc waterfall, time in BaBe Park and Ha Long bay at the end. Organisation was very smooth and we saw and experienced things we would have missed on a group tour or if travelling on our own. Driving on the Northern mountain roads is a very different experience to driving in Europe or the USA, be prepared to adjust. We deeply appreciated the personal attention and the excellent photo memories Tony sent us of the trip. Not the cheapest tour available but you get what you pay for, and the extra cost was not great compared to some of our other expenses. Pay close attention when contacting Tony there are several companies operating with the same name (not unusual for Hanoi). Read more reviews on Tripadvisor: 12 day individual guided tour of North Vietnam mountains
- Read more: Hanoi early morning walking with locals
Day 2 – departure Hanoi to Ha giang city about 6hrs driving (280km)
Leaving a bit early to avoid crowded and fresh air on the way
Stopping for breaks and photography on the way with lunch.
Overnight in Ha giang city
Day3 – a full day activates of village/mountain trekking with lunch en-route
A beautiful day trek up the mountain for about 6hrs for about 8 – 10km/ completely off the track without tourists
Overnight in same place in ha giang city
- Read more: Hanoi to Ha Giang Things to Do
Day 4 – Ha giang city keep going to heaven gate of Quan ba – Yen Minh – Dong van plateau for about 5hrs driving (150km)
Today will stop in along the way to see different places for whole day
Overnight in Dong van city
Day 5 – dong van market – King Hmong palace – Ma Pi Leng pass – Meo Vac city – cao bang city on the go.
Stay overnight in Cao Bang city
Day 6 – Cao Bang city to Ban Gioc waterfalls and Nguom Ngao Cave
A day trip to visit the waterfall and caves for some hiking around the local village
- Read more: Things to do in Cao Bang Bang Gioc falls
Overnight in Ban Gioc town
Day 7 – Ban Gioc keep going to Ba be national park
Today spending about 5hrs for driving on the mountain road to Ba Be national park
Upon arriving Ba be national park, walking around and overnight in site of national park
- Read more: Things to do in Ba Be Lake
Day 8 – ba be lake boat – caves – trekking for a day activities
Still overnight in in ba be national park
Day 9 – Leaving ba be lake to Cat Ba islands
Today all is for driving from Ba be to cat ba islands for about 7 -8hrs
Overnight in Cat Ba
- Read more: What to do in Cat Ba Island
Day 10 – Cat ba to Viet Hai Village
Taking a boat to a beautiful villages away from cat ba islands to Viet Hai villages inside Cat ba national park for overnight. In this charming small village with a good accommodation and far away from tourist cat ba city.
Overnight in this village with beautiful setting of private bungalow surrounding by mountain in peaceful side of national park.
In the morning cycling around village
In the afternoon hiking to national park
Overnight in the village
Day 11 – a day of boat tour through Lan Ha Bay – Bai Tu Long Bay with kayaking – swimming – caves and beach
It is a private boat for a day trip
Overnight in the same place.
Day 12 – Cat Ba island going back to Hanoi/ airport
Finish of the trip and good bye Vietnam.
Meals: on Northern Vietnam loop
Lunch and dinner will be served or buy at local restaurants on the go or nearby hotel stay
In some places meals must be arranged in advance for preparing and cooking at hotel or local restaurants
Foods: Northern mountain food is also quite simple and similar from place to place such as spring rolls, chicken, beefs, pork, shrimp, fish, fried eggs, peanut, all kinks of local seasonal vegetables and fruits.
But it all is fresh and tasty.
Accommodation of Northern Vietnam Loop 12 Days references
- Hotel in Ha Giang : Ha Giang Historic Hotel or similar
- Hotel in Dong Van : Dong Van Bar Hotel or similar
- Hotel in Cao Bang : Max Boutique Hotel or similar
- Hotel in Ban gioc :Tung duong guest house
- Hotel in Ba be lake: Ba Be Legend Villa or similar
- Hotel in Cat ba :Whisper Nature Bungalow or similar
More videos on Tony Vietnam Tours, pls visit on Youtube channel: Tony Tours Vietnam
More Northern Vietnam Tour Options:
- Northern Vietnam Tour Package
- Northern Vietnam road trip transfer by private car
- Day Trips from Hanoi
- Off track Northern Vietnam Itinerary 16 Days
Questions About Northern Vietnam Loop 12 Day Itinerary?
Do you have any questions about traveling to Northern Vietnam? Ask me anything in the comment section below. We’ll do our best to help!