The most stunning landscapes of rice terraced fields that was recognized as the national heritage of Northern Vietnam is Mu Cang Chai. However what to see in Mu Cang Chai is not many people worldwide know about this masterpiece of mother nature in Southeast Asia.
I have been this many beautiful places up Northern Vietnam but Mu Cang Chai is still one of my places to visit in Vietnam.
What its amazing places to see
Located in Northern Vietnam far from Hanoi 300km, it take up to 6 hours to driver. Indeed it is worth to visit more than elsewhere in the world to know about real local insights of hill tribe cultures, thousands years of growing rices on the terraced fields from bottle valleys to top mountains for ages.
Otherwise hill tribe residents still live in the house on stilt, agriculture farming lands that is Hmong, Thai, Tay ethnic groups.
Today people are wondering what to see in Mu Cang chai while in Vietnam. It is becoming more well-known and well-liked by both domestic and international travelers for those who love photography and real off the beaten path adventures however Mu Cang Chai has been less touristic than other destinations, this area still remains its original layout with the outstanding natural landscapes and traditional way of living.
Interacting with local people on the go
Apart from enjoying the beautiful landscapes; you can also find out unique cultural features as well as the daily life of Hmong people. Most of the them live a life of deprivation and misery nor the way they treat each other and travellers always make you feel as they have known you for years.
Immersing with local experiences
When you get in Mu Cang Chai, be ready to be impressed by the marvelous scenery of the terraced fields, unique culture and traditional lifestyles of hill tribe residents
What to see in Mu Cang Chai on tour with local guide
There are 500 ha of terraced fields in 3 communes as La pan Tan, Che Cu Nha and De Xu Phinh within the whole 2,000 ha terraced fields of the area. For years, Mu Cang Chai has become an ideal stops for all nature lovers and photography adventurers.
Recommended Tour: Mu Cang Chai Tour from Hanoi 3 Days
Tu Le valley
Tu Le town which is 50km far from Mu Cang Chai center.The town of Tu Le is the starting point of Khau Pha Pass from Nghia Lo side, which offers you incredibly beautiful outlook of Tu Le valley.
You have a stop in Tu Le town for meals or for great captivation of beautiful rice terraced fields & distantly dotted local villages. It is also a popular destination for overnight stop in mini-guess houses, hotels or trekking down to visit Tu Le’s deep valleys with beautiful villages of Black Hmong & Thai tribes or stay with local hosts in Lim Mong village of Black Hmong – one of famous places to visit in Mu Cang Chai
Khau Pa Pass
Reaching Mu Cang Chai, you must overpass Khau Pa pass – one of four most imposing passes in the northwest of Vietnam. The pass is the most challenging & longest one (30km in length)
La Pan Tan, Che Cu Nha and Ze Xu Phinh villages
The most scenic landscapes of rice terraced fields is La Pan Tan, Che Cu Nha an Ze Xu Phinh villages. Moreover, those communes are the living places of local Black Hmong ethnics with their well-preserved rich cultures their house styles, traditional dresses & their rice cultivation.
Trekking Tour will be a nice exploration of these communes, you will pass by numerous villages of Black Hmong getting to know their primitive lifestyles and have chances to expose yourselves to the most impressive terraced fields – famous places for what to see in Mu Cang Chai journey.
Recommended Tour : Rent a car from Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai
Best time to visit Mu Cang Chai?
When you plan for a trip to Mu Cang Chai, these 2 seasons should be in consideration for the best trip:
- The middle of September to middle of October is the best time for the stunning view of yellow carpet of terrace fields. The weather at that time is also cooler and suitable for a relaxing wander.
- From May to June: is when the farmers start for harvesting season. This time of year is also when the terrace field is watered by the summer rains. When you visit Mu Cang from May to June, you can see another side of the area when it’s flooded.
What to eat in Mu Cang Chai
Come to Mu Cang Chai, you shouldn’t skip any specialty here. Apart from Meo apple wine, sticky rice, grilled chicken, forestall bird stirred with bamboo sprout and many other local foods, Mu Cang Chai is famous for dishes made of bumblebee worms. The fat and soft white worms are steamed and served with Meo apple wine. The food sounds unappetizing but its taste is amazing.
Places to see in Mu Cang Chai for trekking tour & photography
1. Che Cu Nha village is perfect for photo opportunity with its dramatic views. Che Cu Nha has a timeless quality when the local traditional style is still well-kept. A trip to Che Cu Nha brings a closer look on the life of people in ethnic group of Viet Nam. You will also be inspired by its postcard-perfect landscape and freshing breeze.
2. Ze Xu Phinh is another village that you can’t miss out for every journey to Mu Cang Chai. Like Che Cu Nha, the living style of people in Ze Xu Phinh is also well preserved. Local women still wear the typical ethnic clothing. The high roadside location is cool and breezy and it is a well-known spot for tourists to stop and take photos.
3. It seems that Mu Cang Chai is a region full of distinctive villages. La Pan Tan does not only serve as a highlight photography opportunities, it’s also a great escape from the heat for every adventurous travellers. La Pan Tan is where you can get the most stunning panorama of rice terraced fields. The land is cropped out into layers or terraces (rice terraces) for the water begins to be accumulated in certain spots, but it also flow naturally from the hilltop to the lower area.
Don’t forget to to walk through the rice fields to explore close its distinctive architecture.
Book A Car from Hanoi: Hanoi to Mu Cang Chai transfer
What to bring to Mu Cang Chai on Tour
- Don’t forget to bring warm clothing as it can turns cold unexpectedly.
- Remember to bring necessary stuff as hats, sun protection cream, medicine, Insects and mosquito repellents products.
Recommend Mu Cang Chai Tour with another destinations
You can take a long day trip contemplating rice terraced fields in the harvest in Sapa and Mu Cang Chai. This trip might last for 4-6 days. There are three places in Northern Vietnam that has gorgeous rice terraced fields for those who contemplate and photograph Mu Cang Chai, Sapa, Hoang Su Phi (Ha Giang).
Direct Contact Details
Hotline: + 84-97 33 22 309 and whatsApp/Viber: + 84 369 283 168
How To Book:
Just let us know more information about you & send us an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and whatsApp: + 84 369 283 168
More videos on Tony Vietnam Tours, pls visit on Youtube channel: Tony Tours Vietnam