Tipping customs vary from country to country. You may have grown up somewhere where tipping is a must but here in Vietnam, this is not always the case.
Every country has different customs surrounding tipping. There are even some rules and laws regulating that gratuity is counted as a taxable personal income. So learning about the basic tipping guide before traveling to new countries is essential so as to not offend any locals. Here in Vietnam, we do a few things differently.
Tipping is not customary in Vietnam though it is highly appreciated.
Many travelers usually ask themselves: “Are we supposed to tip in Vietnam?” In actuality, there are completely contrasting answers to this question. However, we believe the most common answer is that tipping is not customary in Vietnam though it is highly appreciated. In fact, tipping is not a habit of the citizens, unless you go to spas for a massage or upscale restaurants. In this case, it can be said that the country’s culture of tipping is still in its infancy.
On the other hand, tipping has become more regular in cities that see a lot of tourists, like Saigon, Hanoi, and Hoi An. More and more high-end services include a service fee in their customer’s bills, ranging from 5% to 15%. Unfortunately, this money does not always find its way to the service staff. Therefore, if you do receive a service that completely exceeded your expectation, then a tip is welcome.
Tipping Guide for Restaurants / Coffee Shops
Vietnam is undoubtedly a paradise for street food lovers. Believe it or not, most of the country’s signature dishes originated from the sidewalk. Normally, you should not tip the owners of these stalls because they’ll feel awkward, or even worse, offended. If the latter is the case, they can be quite aggressive and heavily insist that you take back the tip. So when you want to show your appreciation to these mom-and-pop store owners and street vendors, giving them an uplifting and truthful compliment about their excellent food or service is more than enough. However, some small restaurants might accept tips so it highly depends on which place you go to as well. Generally, expect that the majority of small restaurant and stall owners will reject your tip, so don’t be too surprised!
Meanwhile, upscale restaurants do it a little differently. A service charge of approximately 10% is almost always added to the customer’s bills. Often times this “service charge” is split between the employees, this fee does not directly go to your server. Therefore, an extra bonus of 50,000 VND – 100,000 VND (2 USD – 5 USD) per person is suitable to gift outstanding staff, and make sure you hand this to them personally.
Tipping Guide for Bars
In Vietnam, tipping the bartender is a fairly common custom. In fact, bar staff are normally paid very little and most of their income comes from tips and not their salary. A tip of around 50,000 VND to round off your bill is expected. Besides, a small tip may give you some privileges, such as being seated at a better spot or an exclusive drink from the bartender, sometimes even on the house.
Tipping Guide for Spas
Spas and beauty services in Vietnam are considerably cheaper compared to similar services in other countries. This is one of the few services to which Vietnamese generally tip. As a matter of fact, girls working in spas usually come from less than wealthy families and rural areas. They are usually underpaid for their workload and therefore rely mainly on guest tips. So if a masseuse openly asks for tips, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward them. He/she will be very grateful to receive a tip of 50,000 VND – 100,000 VND.
Similar to restaurants, at some luxurious spas, a service charge ranging from 5 – 10% is sometimes covered in the price. Again, like most situations in Vietnam, if you are pleased with your massage, you can tip the spa staff another extra tip because we don’t really know whose pocket the service charge reaches eventually
Tipping Guide for Tour Guides/Driver Guide
Tipping tour guides has become a must since tips probably account for half of their earnings. Being a tour guide means having to stay far from family and friends for a long time and working no matter the weather. Tour guides also play a big role in making a tour successful and they may become a good friend of yours during your journey. So if the adventure you experienced is truly awesome, you can let the guides know by giving them a tip of around 10 USD/day
Tipping Guide for Accommodations
In Vietnam, people do not tip hotel services as frequently as they do with tour guides or spas. Tipping the bellmen or the housekeepers is not compulsory like it is in some other countries, and it all depends on the quality of the accommodation service. The suitable tips for hotel staff are around one or two dollars, and you can give the money to them directly or put it on the desk in your room before leaving.
Vietnam is a developing economy, which means that the majority of the population is still living on an average wage. If you truly enjoy the service, a small tip will perfectly represent your gratuity for the service provided. 20,000 VND may be less than 1 USD; not much for you but maybe a whole meal for the staff member that served you.
1.Hanoi – Halong Bay – Ninh Binh Tour – 4 DaysHighlights: UNESCO Sites – Beautiful nature and countryside Vietnam – Photography – Cruising and Boating – Relaxing – Lifetime experiences – Top of places in Vietnam – Individual Guided Tours
2.Amazing Sapa – Ha Giang – Be Be lake adventure Northern Viernam 8daysHighlights: Adventure – Trekking – Hill colorful tribe – Natre & wildlife – rice terraced fields – Boating – Panorama pics – Culture – Authentic local experiences – Beautiful landscape – Individual Guided Tours
3. Best Mu Cang Chai trekking 3 days from HanoiHighlights: Adventure – Nature & wildlife – trekking – rice terraced fields – Best photography – colorful hill tribe of Hmong people – Authentic experiences – Individual Guided Tours
4. Northern Vietnam adventure Ha Giang loop – Ban Gioc waterfall – Ba be lake – Cat Ba islands – Hanoi 12 days off the beaten trackHighlights: read more on Tripadvisor 12 day individual guided tour of North Vietnam mountains reviewers on Individual Guided Tours for presenting Best Northern Vietnam Adventure
5. Treasure Vietnam Discovery – Saigon – Ben Tre – Can Tho – Da Lat – Nha Trang – Hoi An – Hue – Hanoi – Sapa – Halong Bay – 18 Days
6. Off track colorful Northern Vietnam – Hanoi – Mai Chau – Moc Chau – Dien Bien Phu – Lai Chau – Sapa – Bac Ha – Ha Giang – Cao Bang – Bac Can – Halong Bay – 16 Days
7. Private Northern Vietnam Highlight Tours recommended: Non Touristy – Off beaten track
Private 4 Days Ninh Binh – Cat Ba island sleeping on floating house/Lan Ha Bay from $399USHightlights: Trekking in Cat Ba national park – Boating – Kayaking – Beach – Swimming – Fishing – Floating house stay – Non touristy – Individual Private Guided Tours
Private 5 Days Amazing Ha Giang Loop Adventure off the beaten path from $399USHightlights: Nature & wildlife – Trekking – Culture – Panorama pics – Stunning landscape of rocky mountains – windy roads – Colorful Mountain tribe – non touristy – Authentic experiences – Individual Private Guided Tours
Private Bac Ha Market – Hoang Su Phi Adventure Heaven on Earth 4 Days from $389USHighlights: Nature & wildlife – Trekking – Photography – Colorful mountain ethnic people – Heaven on earth rice terraced fields – Adventure roads – Authentic experiences – Individual Private Guided Tours
Private Ninh Binh – Puluong Nature Adventure off the track 3 Days 2Nights from $299USHighlights: UNESCO Site – nature & wildlife – rice terraced fields – boating – trekking – culture – off the path – photography – Authentic experiences – Individual Private Guided Tours
Private adventure Ba Be lake – Ban Gioc waterfall 4Days/3Nights from Hanoi from $389USHighlights: Love for nature & wildlife – boating – trekking – photography – sunrise&sunset – adventure off beaten track – Beautiful village lifestyle – Authentic experiences – Individual Private Guided Tours
8. Halong Bay Cruise Trips (UNESCO World Heritage Site – you want your private Halong Bay tour? no strangers, private junket boat, own itinerary, lovely food ect with Halong private tour one day tour
9. Best peaceful and beautiful Countryside tours: (Hoa Lu/Tam Coc/ Trang An – Peaceful, fresh air of rural party with green mountains, river, cave exploring, as regarding Halong Bay on land Tam Coc/Trang an one day private tour
10. Early Morning walking with Hanoians TourHighlights: Hanoi Morning through the Lens – A peaceful and tranquil of Hanoi – Photography Lovers – Walking on street without traffics/ a different beautiful Hanoi Old town – Sunrise – Breakfast & Drinks
11. Best places for photography car tours to Mu Cang Chai – Sapa – Bac Ha – Hoang Su Phi – Ban Gioc waterfallsHighlights: Best landscape photography – Sunrise/Sunset – Rice terraced fields – Waterfall – Mountain ranges in the misty/shining – Colorful mountain people – Right time/right location to shoot during the day – professional/experienced local photography guides in each location.